- Advertisement -
FACE-PULLS FOR HYPERTORPY
Are you doing the right face pulls for your training goal?
- There are a few versions out there meant for different purposes, some target the posterior deltoid, others the whole shoulder, and some the scapula muscles for stability which ones are you interested in?
- Sometimes the information put out there isn’t the best and can be confusing as to what is right for you.
- The two versions in the picture above serve two different purposes, version 1 can be used more as a warm up or a general shoulder workout or an exercises to target the scapula muscles (rhomboids/traps).
- The reason for that is the motion in the exercises doesn’t involve a great deal of extension of the humerus but more so abduction and external rotation.
- The external rotation will shorten the posterior deltoid and can actually cause it to contribute less to the overall abduction of the arm
- The second exercise focuses more on isolating the posterior deltoid by using only extension of the humerus which will predominantly target the posterior deltoid.
- This can be done in a small ROM with the shoulder blades tucked back to prevent any subacromial issues or through full ROM with scapular protraction and retraction which will work the rhomboids and traps more as well.