🔥 How to Barbell Overhead Press👇
- Exhale as you push the barbell straight upward.
- At the top of the movement, shrug your shoulders to raise the barbell even higher.
- Inhale as you reverse the motions and lower the barbell to the starting position in a controlled manner.
✅ Comments and tips
- Do not lock your elbows out.
- Move your head out of the way of the bar by rocking your body slightly forward as the bar ascends and slightly backward as the bar descends.
- Keep your back straight and head facing forward; don’t look up.
- Contract your core to stabilize your torso.
- Keep your elbows a little forward, not directly out to the sides.
- Overhead presses are great for building functional upper-body strength. The seated barbell overhead press variation takes your legs out of the equation, which better isolates your shoulders and reduces your potential to cheat.
- If lifting very heavy, use a bench with a back support and rack. The angle of the back support should be a little less than vertical.
🔥 The OHP is a great movement to build your shoulders involving many stabilizing muscle groups to perform it.
Many people especially beginners do what comes natural which letting the elbows stay down to the side creating a bar path that’s not linear.
✅ Pay attention to your wrists and elbows making sure they are aligned and right underneath the bar.
✅ Make the bar path linear to make the movement as efficiently as possible.
❌ Avoid dropping your elbows down and letting your wrists slide forward. This will cause an imbalance and the bar will shift your body forward.