Push-ups with wide arms for pectoral muscles
Push-ups with wide arms are used to train the pectoralis major muscles, improve overall physical fitness, improve the relief of the upper body. This wonderful exercise is suitable for both men and women, it is universal and does not require additional sports equipment.
The distribution of the load on the muscles Push-ups from the floor with a wide grip are often called push-ups for the chest. Already at least it makes it clear which muscles get the load in this exercise.
The work of the muscles is as follows:
- The pectoralis major muscles (especially the outer part) do the main job.
- Triceps work in synergy with the pectoral, but with a wide setting of the arms they play a secondary role.
- The deltoid muscles (anterior bundles) are additionally involved.
- Muscle body stabilizers (abs, back, legs) help maintain the body in a straightened position and work in static.
In general, with the help of push-ups, you can affect various muscles of the body, but if your goal is pumping the breast, then you should choose push-ups with a wide set hands. If we put our palms narrowly, and press our elbows to the body, triceps take up the main work, while the pectorals play a secondary role.
As for women, it should be said that the development of pectoral (pectoral) muscles makes the rib cage visually larger, but does not affect the size of the bust. Training these muscles is necessary for the harmonious development of the body, the development of strength and endurance.
Since the back of the hands is traditionally a problem area for women, it is recommended to combine push-ups with a wide setting of the palms (for the chest) and narrow (for the triceps).
Regular exercise push-ups allows you to achieve the following results:
- The development of the strength of the muscles of the chest, an increase in their volume (some effect during training without weight and pronounced growth during training with weights), drawing the relief of the upper body.
- Additional strengthening of the shoulders and triceps, static abs training.
- Increased stamina and overall fitness level.
- Increased blood circulation, which is especially important when sedentary work.
- Like any other physical activity, push-ups help improve mood and fight stress.
As for contraindications to the exercise, they are injuries to the shoulder joints or wrists. The rest of the push-ups are quite safe, subject to the correct technique.
Execution technique push up
Push-ups with a wide set arm have a lot of variations. You can do push-ups from the floor, benches or do an exercise from the knees (light version). Consider the classic technique and some variations.
- We do a stand on straight arms. You don’t need to put your palms too wide (this can cause injury) – we put them a little wider than the shoulders. The arm can be slightly spread apart for convenience. The body is absolutely straight, there is no deflection in the lower back, the neck is a continuation of the spine, the gaze is lowered, the muscles of the abdomin are tense.
- On inspiration, keep the body absolutely straight, bend your arms while spreading your elbows to the sides. With your chest, you should almost touch the floor.
- As you exhale, focusing on how the pectoral muscles contract, go push down and return to the starting position.
While you’re a beginner, do as many push-ups for the pectoral muscles as you can. The main thing is that each repeat is done correctly and in full amplitude. If the classic version of push-ups is still difficult for you, do an exercise from the knees or do push-ups from the bench with your hands. In particular, this option can be recommended for women.
If you have sports training, do 10-15 repetitions of 3-5 approaches.
Push-Up (Half of Max)