💥 Leg Day Workout 💥
🔥LYING LEG CURL
- ✅ Lying hamstring curls – 1 x 10, 1 x 12, 1 x 15.
- Control the weight down slightly squeezing at the top.
- Adjust the machine lever to fit your height and lie face down on the leg curl machine with the pad of the lever on the back of your legs (just a few inches under the calves). Tip:Preferably use a leg curl machine that is angled as opposed to flat since an angled position is more favorable for hamstrings recruitment.
- Keeping the torso flat on the bench, ensure your legs are fully stretched and grab the side handles of the machine. Position your toes straight (or you can also use any of the other two stances described on the foot positioning section). This will be your starting position.
- As you exhale, curl your legs up as far as possible without lifting the upper legs from the pad. Once you hit the fully contracted position, hold it for a second.
- As you inhale, bring the legs back to the initial position. Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Caution: Do not ever use so much weight on the exercise that you start using swinging and jerking as you can risk both lower back injury and also a hamstring injury.
Variations: Since you have three foot positions you have in reality three exercises. The movement can also be performed with a dumbbell held in between your feet (a partner needs to place it properly). This latter exercise though is only suitable for advanced trainees. Finally, it is also possible to just use one leg at a time for better isolation.
🔥STANDING CALF RAISES
- ✅ Standing calf raises – 5 x 10-12. 3 second eccentric. Keeping feet straight.
- 90 seconds rest in between sets.
The standing calf raise exercise uses a machine to target the lower calf muscles and is used by beginners for proper form.
1.) Start off standing up straight with your toes on the footpads of the machine and adjust your shoulder so that they are rested underneath the upper pads.
2.) Slowly raise up on the balls of your feet so that your heels are lifted off of the pad and hold this position for a count.
3.) Return back to the starting position and repeat for as many reps and sets as desired.
- ✅ Leg Press ( Narrow stance ) – 1 x 12, 1 x 15. 1 x 20.
- Keep tension on the quads through out rep.
💥 When you sit down at a leg press machine, your body should be in a particular position:
- Sit on the machine with your back and head resting comfortably against the padded support.
- Place your feet on the footplate about hip-width apart while ensuring that your heels are flat. Your legs should form an angle of about 90 degrees at the knees. If your feet are too high on the plate, it will stress your glutes; too low and it puts unnecessary pressure on your knees.
- Your knees should be in line with your feet and neither be bowed inward nor outward. As you press, make sure to keep this alignment.
- Your bottom should not be raised from the seat. If it is and your legs are at too sharp of an angle, you will need to move the seat back until your knees and buttocks are comfortably positioned. You can recognize poor positioning when you feel cramped and/or your knees seem to be directly in front of your eyes.
- Grasp the assist handles. These provide support during the movement and help keep your spine and head in position. Placing hands on the knees is a common mistake that will break your form.