Barbell & Dumbbell French Press
Consider a variation executing of the French press with dumbbells and a barbell.
The French press can be performed in various variations, both with dumbbells and with a barbell, the exercise is considered one of the basic for pumping and work out all the bundles of triceps, aimed at developing the triceps mass.
Initial position with dumbbell:
- Lie on a straight bench or bench at a 45-degree angle so that your head is on the edge of the bench and does not hang from it.
- Take dumbbells in both hands, do not try to take a very large weight, take such a weight with which you can do 10-12 reps at the limit.
- When doing the french press with dumbbells, you need to take dumbbells so that the palms are facing each other.
- Take a deep breath, and lower the dumbbells at an angle of 90 degrees to your head, with the option with dumbbells, they can drop to ear level.
- Feel the maximum stretching of the triceps at the lowest point, and at the highest point the maximum tension.
- Follow 3 sets with 10-12 reps.
- Try not to use heavy weights, focus on the right technique
- Do not jerk dumbbells, do the movement smoothly
- Do not lower your hands below your head and do not put your hands behind your head
Initial position with barbell:
- Doing the French bench press with a barbell is similar to doing with dumbbells but with a few differences. Let’s get it right.
- Take the barbell, better Z-bar it will eliminate the load on the wrists
- Lower the barbell to your forehead level, your elbows should not go forward or backward.
- Perform the required number of repetitions, 10 -12 repetitions in 3-4 approaches
- The French press can be performed while lying, sitting, standing, but most often performed while lying with dumbbells or a barbell, as we wrote above in the article.
- Using different options for the exercise, we can vary the load on different bundles of triceps.
- With the help of dumbbells, we shift the load to the lateral or external head of the triceps, due to the greater amplitude of movement.
- Using the barbell, we are working on the inside of the triceps, using the external head as well.
- Always focus on the muscle that you are pumping for the maximum effect of the exercise.
You can see more, how to do train triceps with these exercises.