How to Build Big Triceps with 5 Workout Routine
Triceps is the main muscle that creates the bulk of the entire muscle of the arm and today we will consider the 5 best build big triceps exercises.
Triceps – is the three-headed muscle of the hands that is responsible for strengthening the elbow joint. The triceps are located on the back of the arm: starts from the shoulder ends at the elbow. The triceps muscle is divided into Three bundles: The first – the long, lateral, and middle (medial) triceps bundle.
In one training session, you should not perform all 5 exercises. Choose 2-3 exercises, and do 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps. Combine triceps exercise with muscles such as biceps, or pectoral muscles.
- Perform one basic exercise – for example, triceps dips, perform it first.
- The secondary workout are 2 isolated exercises: for example, french bench press and triceps pushdown machine.
Perform in basic exercises – 8-12 reps. And the number of repetitions is 12-15 in isolating triceps exercises. Do not immediately take large weights, if you are not an experienced athlete, then this can lead to injury, stretching the muscle. Stick to the correct technique and the muscles will grow and gain strength gradually.
Cable Pushdown using the upper cable block
The basic version of the triceps pushdown is considered to be training using a straight handle, which is doing with a straight (upper) grip slightly narrower than shoulder-width. Such a grip will allow you to work out the medial and lateral heads of the triceps muscle.
Having faced the pull cable machine, take the handle and lower it until a right angle is formed between the shoulder and the forearm. The body is kept flat, slightly tilted forward, with a fixed natural deflection in the back. One leg can be placed slightly ahead of the other for greater stability. Chest straighten, elbows held in close proximity to the body.
- Take a deep breath and push the bar of the simulator to the very lower, in this exercise the movement is carried out due to triceps.
- At the bottom, the handle should touch the hips. At the time of straightening the hands, fix your hands in this position for 1-2 seconds.
- On inhalation in a controlled and slow motion, we return our hands to their original upper position
- Do 15 reps in 3 sets.
Do not take too ower weight to perform this exercise, it is better to follow the correct technique with less weight than not the right one with more weight, which will give less muscle contraction. If the bar is very heavy, you will not be able to hold it on level hands at an angle of 40-50 ° to the vertical and you will elbow pull the forward. And this significantly reduces the reduction in triceps.
Retention in the upper part of the hands in an inclination at an angle of 40-50 ° to the vertical is the main point of the exercise.
Step by step instructions:
- Lie on a horizontal bench and firmly place your feet on the floor. Raise your straight arms up, they should be perpendicular to the floor, ask the spotter to give you a barbell, or take a barbell weight that you can lift yourself.
- For the best effect, take the EZ-bar, if it is not in the gym, do the exercise with a classic bar.
- Grasp the bar and lift it up. Straighten your arms fully with the barbell and take them back (to the level of the forehead) 40-50 ° from the vertical. This is the starting position.
- Take a deep breath and hold your breath. Firmly holding the upper part of the arms (from shoulder to elbow), slowly bend your elbows and lower the bar by the head to the back of the head. The angle in the elbow joint should be equal to 90 °.
- When you lower the bar down, pause for 1-2 seconds. Then return the bar to its original position. Do not exhale or push your elbows forward when lifting the bar. Part of the arms from the elbow and above should remain motionless until the end of the exercise.
- As soon as you extend your arms as much as possible, pause for a couple of seconds, exhale and repeat reps.
Reverse push-ups (Tricep seated dips) – This is a basic exercise with its own weight, aimed at working out the triceps and at the same time making the muscles of the shoulders and chest stronger. Variations of reverse push-ups are a good alternative for those who find it difficult to push-ups on parallel bars.
Benefits of Triceps Bench Dips
- Do not fall too low, as this may result in injury to the shoulder joints.
- If you do not have a second bench, place your feet on a dumbbell, the length of which is approximately equal to the height of the palm rest.
- Slow down, three counts. Rise should be faster, but not in a jerk.
- Keep your back parallel to the floor throughout the exercise. Do not help yourself with buttock muscles. Only triceps should perform the work.
- If dips are too hard, try a lightweight version of the exercise. Reverse push-ups maybe are difficult even in the light version, move your feet closer to the body this makes exercise easier. You train in the gym, use weight disk if the exercise too light for you with your weight.
- For home workouts, a water bottle or a loaded backpack is suitable. Put the weight closer to the pelvic bones: if you place the load on your knees, you can injure the joints when lifting. If you want to work out the triceps muscle of the shoulder, start the training with reverse dips.
- If your goal is to increase blood flow to the triceps, leave the exercise at the end of the workout. Change the width of the arrangement of the hands until you find the position in which the triceps are involved as much as possible.
- If you usually do 10-15 repetitions per set, try at least a month and practice in 8-10 repetitions. A large number of repetitions load on the central nervous system and increased pain.
- If you can reverse dips the bench more than 15 reps, it’s time to put a weight on your feet.
- Starting position: the hands are placed on the edge of the handles at a distance slightly wider than the shoulders, the elbows are bent, the back is facing the simulator.
- Buttocks are located on the bench simulator.
- Heels are placed on the floor, and the feet under the softer rollers in the simulator;
The legs are slightly bent at the knees.
- As you inhale, push the handle of the simulator, bending your elbows to a level of 90 degrees.
- The bottom point is the one at which the angle between the shoulder and forearm is straight.
- On exhalation, straighten your arms and return to the starting position.
- Beginners are advised to do 3 sets of 6 reps. For those who already have experience, 4 approaches of 10 times.
- The norm for professionals is 5 sets of 20 repetitions.
Step-by-Step Build Triceps Instructions:
- The standard scheme of push-ups on the bars;
- Begin position – between uneven bars on straight arms. Grip – neutral (with palms facing you);
- Take a breath, and start to bend arms and lower your body as you until there is a 90-degree angle between your elbows and forearms, linger in this position for 1 second, and rise to the upper position, it is our begin position. If you want to load triceps do not tilt the body forward;
- When you pause, you should not linger for a long time at the very lower point, maximum 1-2 seconds;
- Climb up, straightening your arms. When you go through the most difficult lifting point, help yourself by doing exhaling;
- If you are not able to complete a full raise, do it to the maximum height you can reach;
- Do not turn on weight until you can confidently lower and rise to the end.
See more how to train the pectoral muscles with the same exercise: Chest with Dips on Uneven Bars.
Varying the technique, it is necessary from time to time to shift the focus to the chest, then to triceps.