Seated Dumbbell Shrugs Proper Form
Let’s go to train our traps today with an isolation exercise like the seated dumbbell shrugs.
Dumbbell Shrugs – The most effective exercise that works on trapezius muscles. Exercise of the dumbbell with dumbbells is equally useful both for increasing the strength of our trapezoids, which contributes to the increase of our result in the basic exercises performed with the bar (deadlift, pull the barbell on the chest, etc.) and for the muscular mass of the entire shoulder belt. Agree, visually the figure of the athlete looks disproportionate, if the athlete has well-developed shoulders and arms, and trapezius muscles are completely out of tune.
| Read more about Exercises For Traps
Seated dumbbell shrugs – Enough common exercise for pumping traps. To complete it, you need a bench for the press, on which we will sit. The study of the trapezoid in this version will be more isolated since the lower body is excluded from the exercise. The load on the spine will also decrease. But there is one inconvenient moment when doing the exercise. You will have to focus not only on maximizing the trapezoid contraction but also on not hooking your hips with dumbbells.
The Technique Seated Dumbbell Shrugs
- Take dumbbells from the floor or from the racks. To begin better with a small weight, in order to better concentrate on neuromuscular communication. To maximally isolate the work of the trapezoid, use hooks.
- Straighten your back, look forward. If you make the Shrugs sitting on a bench, without changing the position of the body, drop onto the bench and arrange the dumbbells in such a way that they do not touch the legs or seat of the bench when lifting.
- Lift the dumbbells up, exhaling. Movement is performed only by raising the shoulders up. Work should be smooth, concentrating on the peak reduction of trapezoids.
| Read also various options for Training Big Traps
- Amplitude should be as high as possible, but deltoid muscles, biceps, or the widest back muscles should not be included in the work. Try not to bend your elbows – it involves the work of the biceps and forearms, and trapeziums receive less blood filling. Do not do circular motions with shoulders at the top point – so you risk injuring the rotator cuff of the shoulder.
- Gently lower the dumbbells down, taking a breath and feeling the stretching of the muscles. To achieve a larger pump by incorporating oxidative muscle fibers into the work, work without pausing at the lowest point while maintaining constant tension in the trapezius muscles.
There are many options for training the trapezius muscle, today we dismantled one isolation exercise: seated dumbbell shrugs, perform this exercise at the end of the back workout for at least 4 sets of 10-12 repetitions with average weight.