🔥 Replace barbell squats with other exercises to train the legs and buttocks
Barbell squats are the basis of strength training. The element is included in the training plans of bodybuilding, powerlifting, weightlifting, game sports (basketball, volleyball and others).
✅ The benefits of squats:
- stimulation of muscle growth;
- development of explosive power;
- increased stamina;
- decrease in subcutaneous fat.
A serious drawback of the element is the high risk of injury. We will analyze effective exercises that allow you to replace squats with a barbell for various injuries of the musculoskeletal system.
Leg training for injuries and knee pain
The right technique is a guarantee of safety and rapid progress. Of an athlete squat with errors, the risk of injury is increased.
🚫 For any pain in the knee joints, you need to stop and pay attention to small nuances. An experienced trainer will help. Ask him to watch your squats. If there are defects in the technique, the mentor will notice this and give recommendations.
We offer a set of exercises to maintain muscle tone of the legs. To maximize the safety of the knee joints, before starting the training, apply a warming ointment to them and wrap them with an elastic bandage or a special bandage.
- ✅ Squats with an empty bar (3×15–20). You will need a standard 20 kg shell. If during the execution there are unpleasant sensations in the joints, we replace the bar with fitnessbar. We spread our legs slightly wider than our shoulders and spread our socks outward at an angle of 45 °. Slowly lower the pelvis to the parallel of the hips to the floor, then just as smoothly rise. We are repelled by the entire foot, we do not allow the center of gravity to shift to the socks.
- ✅Exercising the thigh muscles. To strengthen the quadriceps we use a simulator designed for leg extension sitting. We set the minimum weight, move smoothly, avoid tossing the stop. We carry out 3 sets of 15-20 repetitions. Then we lay on our stomach in the machine for training the biceps of the thigh. We also select the minimum weight. We do 3 sets of 15–20 bends.
- ✅Squats in the Smith simulator (3×15–20). It’s hard for athletes with knee injuries to maintain body balance, so even lightweight squats are difficult. In the Smith machine, the crossbar is rigidly fixed to the guides, which allows lowering and lifting the body without loss of balance. We stand in the machine, feet slightly forward. Squat to the right angle in the knee joints.
- ✅ “Static” lunges (3×15–20). For exercise, you need two small dumbbells or weights. We take the weight in our hands and put one foot forward. The distance between the feet should be approximately 60–70 cm. We perform short slow squats. We make sure that the knee of the “front” leg does not extend beyond the toes. After the set is completed, we change the legs and repeat.
🚨 FRONT SQUAT TIPS
✅ The main muscle work is carried out by the quadriceps of the thigh – quadriceps, auxiliary – by the calf, buttocks and hamstrings. Synergist muscles (working in one direction) are: large gluteal, adductor, soleus. Dynamic stabilizers are: muscles of the back of the thigh, calf muscle. Muscle antagonist stabilizers: rectus and oblique muscles of the abdomen.
Now let’s look at the correct technique for doing the exercise. It consists of the following steps.
Step number 1.
- Go to the power frame and set the height of the racks at shoulder level. Put the barbell and load it with the weight of the pancakes.
Step number 2.
- Take a step forward and put your shoulders under the crossbar. Cross your arms and lay them on top of the bar. Keep your elbows parallel to the floor. Remove the bar from the racks and take a step back.
Step number 3.
- Place your feet shoulder width apart, socks point to a mark of 30-45 degrees, the abdominal muscles are as tense as possible. This is the starting position for starting the exercise.
Step number 4.
- Straighten your back, firmly put your feet on the floor and slowly (while inhaling) begin to squat to a position until your hips are parallel to the floor. Keep your gaze in the direction of travel.
Step number 5.
- Make a powerful push with your heels, straighten your legs and return to the starting position. Repeat the required number of times.
In the picture version, all this mess is as follows: