Consider Types of push-ups and results that can be achieved
Push-ups from the floor – this is not only the classic exercise, familiar to us even from the school bench, but also a number of its modifications, allowing qualitatively to work out certain groups of muscles, to develop strength and endurance. About push-ups written a lot of articles and books. In order not to get confused in a lot of information, let’s systematize knowledge about this exercise and understand what goals it can help to achieve.
What can you achieve by push-ups?
If you approach the question globally, then during the push-ups almost all the muscles of our body work. However, when planning the training process with the insignificant load that the press receives, say, we can neglect and focus on those muscle groups that do the basic work.
Mostly, when push-ups are used:
- pectoral muscles (top, bottom or middle of the chest);
- deltoid muscles of the shoulders.
Changing the position of the hands and body, we can shift the focus of the load on any of these muscle groups. In addition to muscular training, push-ups are an excellent means for developing endurance, training the cardiovascular system, strengthening ligaments and tendons. In this article, we first of all consider the classical technique of the exercise. Next, we will analyze the following series of questions:
- What kind of push-ups to train pectoral muscles, arms and shoulders?
- How to achieve the strengthening of brushes, fists and fingers?
- What are the plyometric push-ups (developing explosive force)?
- Advanced exercises and work with additional weight for trained athletes.
- How to start training push-ups for beginners?
- How many repetitions and approaches to do?
Most variants of push-ups, which will be listed below, are devoted to individual articles on our website. You can always read about the exercise in more detail by clicking on the appropriate link.
Classical technique The traditional version of the exercise is as follows:
- Stand at the point of lying down. Place your palms slightly wider than your shoulders and pull the body into a range. The neck is the continuation of the back, the stomach does not sag, the loin is flat, the buttocks do not go up. Your feet a short distance apart on the socks.
- On breathe, without changing the direct position of the body, sink downward by bending the arms in the elbow joints. Between the chest and the floor is a few centimeters.
- And exhale straighten your arms and return to the top point.
Such a basic exercise technique loads the pectoral muscles, triceps and a few front beams of deltas. Additionally, the muscles of the body stabilizers work. It can be considered as the basis from which we will start, considering the variations for the accentuated elaboration of specific muscles.
Focus on the muscles of the chest!
To pump the chest, the technique of performing the exercise must be built in such a way that it implies the reduction of the arms (shoulders) to each other. After all, this is the main function of the pectoral muscles. Remember any exercises on the chest: bench press, crossover, chest press in the Hummer, etc.
At push-ups with wide setting of hands the breast works most. After all, in fact, in order to raise the body to the upper point, you need to straighten the elbows and, overcoming the weight of your own body, reduce your shoulders to each other.