Best leg muscle exercises
Many people think that it is enough to perform a greater number of repetitions with light weight for muscle relief and burning excess subcutaneous fat. However, this is not entirely true. To maintain a high metabolism in the body, a certain stimulus is needed that will contribute to the collection and retention of muscle mass.
That is why most of the elements in this workout are performed according to the super-set system with multi-joint exercises, and you need to shorten the rest time between sets as much as possible.
COMPLEX SUPER-SER LEGS EXERCISES
- Squats in Smith’s simulator (superset): 4 sets of 8-10 reps.
- Leg press: 3 sets of 10-12 reps without rest. Squats with a kettlebell (goblet): 3 sets of 10-12 reps, rest only as needed (superset).
- Reverse lunges in Smith’s simulator: 3 sets of 10-12 reps per leg without rest. Leg extension: 3 sets of 12-15 reps, rest only as needed (superset).
- Leg bending: 4 sets of 10-12 reps without rest. Exercise “Donkey”, or lifting a donkey on socks (by the way, one of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s favorite exercises): 4 sets of 12-15 repetitions, rest only when necessary (superset).
To learn the correct squat technique will take a lot of time, so we advise you to start with simpler weight squats The essence of this exercise is to master the basic principles and movements, gradually increasing the weight of the weights and moving on to more complex types of squats.
This will help you make the transition to significant weights more controlled and less stressful for the body. As soon as your coordination improves and your muscles strengthen, begin to increase the load.
You can choose the number of warm-up approaches at your discretion, but you should not perform them to the point of muscle failure. The greater the load, the more difficult it is to adhere to the correct technique during training, so first of all you must learn to skillfully perform all the exercises. Start your workout with complex multi-joint exercises. Since they involve different muscle groups at the same time, you will need more rest between sets.
EXERCISE FOR LEGS
1. Squats Barbell: 4 sets of 10-12 reps, rest 90 seconds.
2. Leg press: 3 sets of 10-12 reps, rest 90 seconds.
3. Leg extension: 3 sets of 10-12 reps, rest 60 seconds.
4. Leg curls: 3 sets of 10-12 reps, rest 60 seconds.
5. Calf raise: 3 sets of 15 reps, rest 60 seconds.
COMPLEX RYRAMID OF EXERCISES
- Frontal squats: 4 sets of 6-8, 6-8, 8-10, 12 reps. Lose weight after your first 2 sets.
- Hack squats: 3 sets of 8, 10, 12 reps. Keep your feet low and shoulder width apart on the platform.
- Hack squats: 3 sets of 6 partial reps. You should only fall halfway — no need to squat deep.
- Leg press: 3 sets of 8, 10, 12 reps. Keep your feet low on the platform.
- Leg extension: 3 sets of 10, 10, 12 reps. The last two approaches are in the form of drop sets.
Accent on Gluteal
While in the previous workout, emphasizing quadriceps, we tried to minimize various flexion and extension of the legs, in this complex, emphasis should be placed on such exercises.
Therefore, it is necessary to choose such exercises and foot positions that will maximize the range of motion of the gluteal muscles.
The number of warm-up approaches is not limited, but in no case do them before muscle failure. Choose weights that allow you to perform the maximum number of repetitions. The principle of the inverse pyramid means that after the first two approaches it is necessary to reduce weight, but at the same time, increase the number of repetitions in each approach. Do a few forced reps on the last two approaches of each exercise, if you are partner insures you.
Complex inverse pyramid exercises
1. Sumo squats (wide position): 4 sets of 6-8, 6-8, 8-10, 12 reps. Lose weight after your first 2 sets.
2. Leg press: 3 sets of 8, 10, 12 reps. Keep your feet high on the platform.
3. Reverse lunges in Smith’s simulator: 3 sets of 10-12 reps per leg without rest.
4. Butt-Blaster simulator: 3 sets of 8, 10, 12 repetitions.
5. Romanian deadlift: 4 sets of 8, 8, 12, 12 repetitions.
EMPHASIS ON THE HIPS SURFACE MUSCLE
The development of these muscles should not be secondary to you, and not only from an aesthetic point of view, as you know, the muscles of the back of the thigh support the integrity of the knee joint. Most bodybuilders are familiar with a series of leg curl exercises that can be performed while standing, sitting or resting one knee on a bench. Do not forget to work out the muscles also from the side of the hip joint, that is, with the help of Romanian traction. This exercise strengthens the upper muscles of the back of the thigh. While doing the Romanian traction, keep your back straight and do not let it round – this is extremely important for observing safe technique. Deep squats will also be helpful, while remembering that the slower you perform them, the better.
If you decide to separate the exercises for the quadriceps and for the back of the thigh and do them on different days, make sure that the interval between these two workouts is at least 48 hours. Only in this way will you ensure complete muscle recovery. In addition, you can combine this workout with a complex for quadriceps or buttocks.
This training is built on the principle of the inverse pyramid, that is, you need to do more approaches, gradually reducing weight.
COMPLEX HIPS EXERCISES
- Romanian deadlift in Smith’s simulator (with a barbell): 4 sets of 6-8, 6-8, 8-10, 12 repetitions. Lose weight after your first 2 sets.
- Curl standing on one leg: 3 sets of 8, 10, 12 repetitions.