Seated Leg Extensions – working out the quadriceps!
Seated Leg Extensions in the simulator is an isolating exercise for the quadriceps, which helps to draw the relief and improve the shape of the muscle. Technique of movement is quite simple, but it has its own nuances that you need to know for effective and safe leg training.
When performing leg extensions, the main load falls on the quadriceps muscle of the thigh, that is, the quadriceps. This is the largest muscle in the human body, its main function is the extension of the knee joint and straightening of the leg. Partially this muscle participates in the bending of the hip joint.
Quadriceps consists of four smaller muscles:
- Straight thigh muscle – covers the femur in front.
- The medial thigh muscle is also in front of the straight line.
- The lateral muscle forms the outer side of the thigh.
- Medial – accordingly, internal.
Lifting the legs sitting or as they say, the extension of the shin in the simulator allows you to work through all the bundles of the quadriceps, draw the relief and improve the shape of the legs. Also, performing this exercise helps to improve the performance in basic movements, such as squatting or bench legs press. Extensions seated Legs are used as a warm-up before the main leg training, for pre-fatigue (at the advanced level) or for finishing quadriceps after basic exercises. As a basic exercise, it can be given to strengthen the muscles of beginners, for which the basic sit-ups are still too complicated.
Effect of exercise on the knees
Separately it is necessary to tell about influence of extensions on knee joints. When there is flexion and straightening of the legs under the influence of weight, the anterior cruciate ligament undergoes a significant load. On the one hand, this creates a risk of injury. That is why it is important to follow the technique without exception and use moderate weights. However, on the other hand, with proper execution and application of a small burden, the exercise helps to strengthen the knee ligaments. In particular, it is used to rehabilitate athletes after injuries. In order for the exercise to bring only a positive effect, it is necessary to perform it correctly.
Technique of execution Seated Leg Extensions
At first glance, the exercises are easy. Sit down on the seat and go. This is in part true, but, like in any case, there are secrets here. So, first of all the simulator needs to be adjusted for yourself. As a rule, the machine adjusts two parameters – the position of the backrest and the location of the roller, for which put your feet. Well, and, of course, weight.
- The back should be set so that your hip is fully seated on the seat. That is, that the knees perfectly fit on the edge of the seat, and the back down was pressed to the back bench.
- The position of the second roller (for which put your legs) should be set so that you rest against it with the lower part of the shin. The angle in the knee joint should not be less than 90 degrees.
- The last thing you need to do is to set the weight, depending on your level of preparation. Choose weight so that with it you can make 3-4 approaches 15-20 times. A lot of weight in this exercise is not used.
Now our cool workouts you can watch in the video format. Subscribe!