HOW TO SERRATUS PULLOVER
Pullover on the upper block in the standing position (serratus pullover) – is an exercise that promotes the development of the widest back muscles along the entire length. In addition, when performing involved serratus and quite a few lower pectoral muscles
The fundamental criterion for the pullover is the correct arrangement of the body relative to the block simulator.
To load the widest back muscles properly and minimize the involvement of other muscle structures, it is necessary to consider the following factors:
- The angle of inclination is about 45 degrees;
- How far you are from the simulator;
- Correct bend in the elbow joint.
The Technique Pullover
- Take the initial position relative to the block simulator and stay to face, make sure that the top of the block is directly above your head.
Pre-hang a straight handle on the simulator for the convenience of the exercise.
- Grasp the handle grip on top, which corresponds to the width of your shoulders. Keeping the low back and back straight, move away from the simulator for about half a step.
- To emphasize the load on the lower parts of the latissimus muscles, it is important to choose the necessary distance from the simulator. If you stand too close, the load will begin to be transferred to the triceps. Too far a location will not give the opportunity to correctly feel the contraction of the widest muscles of the back.
- Starting from the above recommendations, you need to choose a natural comfortable angle and distance from the simulator. This will reduce the stress on the lower back and increase the burning sensation in the latissimus dorsi.
- To more targeting transfer the load to the back muscles, it is necessary to slightly bend the arms in the elbow joint and bring them forward from the vertical position to a distance of 20 degrees.
- Take the starting position, set the block simulator to the upper position, if you are very tall, you can kneel for a more comfortable exercise.
- During the entire exercise, keep a clear deflection in the loins. The view should be directed upwards: this will help keep the body’s corresponding angle when doing the exercise.
- The exercise begins with a negative phase, so you need to take a deep breath and strain your back muscles before starting the movement.
- Now make a smooth pull with a consecutive exhalation to the top of your thighs. Throughout the whole movement, the hands remain straight.
- At the maximum reduction point near your hips, you need to make a small two-second pause. This will additionally work out the widest muscles of the back.
- Next, you must control the positive phase and move the handle of the simulator to its starting position. Pull the bar handle towards your hips with a smooth movement, do not forget about your arms, they should be slightly bent.
When you include a pullover on your unit in your training complex, stick to one simple rule. Learn how to properly work out and feel the muscle group with a small weight and only then go to the heavy weight on the block simulator.
| See more variations Pull-Over
Back Training Tips
For “beginner athletes”
Beginning athletes should pay special attention to the lower back – long muscles should be trained for 2-3 weeks, performing hyperextension at the end of each workout. Sometimes, instead of hyperextension, I recommend doing a pullover in the 12-20 rep range. Only after you have strengthened your lower back can you move on to more challenging exercises.
At the beginning of the training session, I would advise you to avoid exercises that put excessive stress on the spine (Barbell row, Dumbbell row, or T-bar row).
For “advanced athletes”
There are no special restrictions on the selection of exercises (unless you are worried about pain in the lower back); exercises are performed mainly in a strength style – for 5-8 repetitions, you should try to constantly increase your working weights.
For “experienced athletes”
And a professional should already choose a training strategy for this muscle group according to his feelings and depending on which part of the back should be given special attention. It is possible that to work harder on the back muscles, you will have to train it twice a week. I remind you that only one of these workouts can be hard, the second should be lighter.